[john-dev] True Crypt, CipherShed, VeraCrypt
Rich Rumble
2015-12-31 15:34:28 UTC
It appears there are some fundamental differences in the forks of
TrueCrypt. Specifically VeraCrypt appears to be doing key derivation
in a "more secure" fashion than TC or CipherShed. Will the
truecrypt2john and the code that cracks those volumes need to be
changed?
https://forum.truecrypt.ch/t/veracrypt-or-ciphershed/449/10
Will that spawn a new format/tool, veracrypt2john --format=veracode ?
I'll try to add some samples if I have some time today.
-rich
magnum
2016-01-29 00:05:29 UTC
Post by Rich Rumble
It appears there are some fundamental differences in the forks of
TrueCrypt. Specifically VeraCrypt appears to be doing key derivation
in a "more secure" fashion than TC or CipherShed. Will the
truecrypt2john and the code that cracks those volumes need to be
changed?
https://forum.truecrypt.ch/t/veracrypt-or-ciphershed/449/10
Will that spawn a new format/tool, veracrypt2john --format=veracode ?
I'll try to add some samples if I have some time today.
I added a GitHub issue
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/2012 for this.
Other than that I have no idea and no plans on working on it myself.

magnum